Friday 23 January 2015

Silk Nuno Sample

I bought some silk fabric from a seller on ebay quite a while ago. It was listed as Silk Organza and it felt 'stiff' like some of the thicker synthetic organzas can, but was even stiffer. It kind of 'bent' rather than folded! I mentioned it on the Felting and Fiber forum and after suggestions decided the best thing to do was wash it and see how it turned out. I don't have any photos of it as it comes, I remember trying, but it was acting like patterned shirts do on the telly. This is how it looked after a wash:


It started to crumple up and look like foil, and didn't want to uncrumple. In some places it started to fall to bits:


I googled, and came up with a couple of sites talking about vintage fabrics, and especially how delicate silk taffeta is with its metallic threads and something about how taffeta is prone to disintegration because of the metal salts used to give an opalescent sheen. So, I'm fairly certain it is taffeta and not organza. I did a sample using a piece before washing, at the top, and a piece I'd washed, at the bottom:


The unwashed piece kept its shape better than I thought. Actually, so did the washed piece, I wouldn't have been surprised if it just fell to bits. I did a similar sized sample with just one piece unwashed.


The taffeta still feels stiff after felting, but it does look nice. Angled:


You can really see the sheen and texture on this close up:


A few weeks ago, I made some more drum carded blended batts. I used 18.5 mic primary yellow Merino blended with hand dyed Milk, Silk and Soy fibres; and 18.5 mic Merino blended with black bamboo and hand dyed Milk, Silk and Soy fibres; then I blended them together.


A few people pointed out they fit in well with the Felting and Fiber Studio first quarter colour challenge, making a shade. I'm hoping I get chance to felt a little sample of them soon, I'm curious how the fibres will show through.


2 comments:

  1. Looking forward to seeing what you do with the bumble bee mix!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lyn :)
      It'll probably end up as a scarf or nuno scarf.

      Delete